Since Roman occupation we have found in Bullas elements related to the winemaking tradition such as “El niño de las uvas” a small sculpture which appeared in the excavations carried out in the Roman Villa of Los Cantos in Bullas, or “El Sello del Castellar” allegory to the harvest. Both are examples of the economy and continued dedication of Bullas inhabitants to their lands.
With the arrival of the Islam to the Iberian Peninsula, wine production is reduced by the constrictions imposed by the Koran regarding alcoholic drinks, although there are references that reveal wine consumption over the entire medieval and Muslim era.
After the Reconquest, wine shows up again as a staple food and at the same time as a liturgical element that led to a new expansion of vinegrowing. This boot is encouraged by the direct control by the orders of knighthood, in charge of vine plantations and the wineries zealously kept under the protection of the castles and towns of this domain.
From the seventeenth century, Bullas population grows up and so does again the wine production since in this land there are lots of wine presses or small wineries where excellent wines are made. In 1660 the historian Mr Martín de Ambel reports on the population growth in Bullas and highlights the following:
“… where the old town of Bullas was located and in the outskirts there are lots of wine presses, which are called cellars in this region, where over 20,000 arrobas of magnificent wine were collected and transported, as a result of lots of days of work on the vines, and they were very similar as for the greatness of the bunches to those the explorers brought their leader and captain of God’s People, of the Promised Land….”
The most significant fact about the intense wine production in Bullas is provided by the large amount of traditional wineries found and still preserved, both in urban and rural areas.
The concentration is so important that almost every house in the old part of town treasures ancient remains of wineries, some of which are still in perfectly-preserved conditions and have more than 300 years old.
In 1850 the Wine production was 1120000 litres, and so great wineries were built to make large quantities of wines such as Casilla Wineries (Wine Museum) or Casa de la Tercia Winery.
Farmers decide to work in partnership and so the first cooperative was born in 1950 which was also created in order to fight against the prices which were less and less beneficial for the winemakers.
Along the twentieth century, Bullas gained the official recognition for the quality and singularity of its wines throughout the Region with the establishment of Bullas Wine Appellation.